Medical Malpractice In Tampa Can Take A Heavy Emotional Toll On Victims
You trust doctors, surgeons, and other providers to provide solutions to your most troublesome medical problems. When they make mistakes or errors that put your health at risk, it can take a heavy toll on both your physical and mental health. Our Tampa medical malpractice attorney explains more about the emotional impacts and your rights to be compensated for what you suffered.
Medical Malpractice Has Impacts On Both Physical and Mental Health
Several years ago, groundbreaking studies by Johns Hopkins Medicine indicated that medical mistakes and errors were the third leading cause of death in the United States. While some dispute this claim, the fact is that medical malpractice in Tampa continues to be a serious concern and can cause major problems for patients and their families.
Medical malpractice may involve a missed diagnosis, medication or surgical errors, misreading diagnostic test results, or other types of negligence among medical providers. This can cause a dramatic worsening in your condition, resulting in delayed treatment and increasing the possibility of death or disability.
Mistakes and errors on the part of medical providers can also take a heavy emotional toll on their patients. Issues victims are likely to struggle with include:
- Frustrations and resentment over the situation and the inability to get quality care;
- Increased anxiety about your health and your diagnosis moving forward;
- Embarrassment, self-consciousness, and low self-esteem due to scarring or disfigurement;
- Sadness due to feeling betrayed by providers and being unable to enjoy your prior hobbies and activities due to their negligence;
- Fear about the cost of correcting medical mistakes and how complications could impact you on the job.
Compensation For Pain And Suffering In A Tampa Medical Malpractice Claim
Under the Florida Statutes, you have the right to hold doctors, surgeons, diagnostic technicians, and others involved in your health care accountable when medical mistakes happen as a result of their negligence. Negligence means they either took reckless actions that put you at risk or failed to take what would seem reasonable precautions by others in the medical community.
In this situation, you may be entitled to file an insurance claim or a medical malpractice lawsuit in Tampa. In addition to compensation for economic damages, which are tangible costs such as medical bills and lost income, you may also be able to claim non-economic damages. This includes compensation for:
- The physical pain you suffered due to medical negligence, while it was happening and during recovery;
- The emotional anguish and sorrow the situation causes you and your loved ones;
- The impact of living with scarring, disfigurement, or long-term disabilities;
- Sleeplessness, chronic headaches, digestive disorders, and other symptoms of post-traumatic stress common after your experience.
Request A Consultation With Our Tampa Medical Malpractice Attorneys
At Greco & Wozniak, P.A., we help you get compensation for the physical harm suffered due to medical negligence and the heavy toll it can take on your mental health. To request a consultation with our Tampa medical malpractice attorneys, call or contact our office online today.